Saturday, September 4, 2010

I Moved To Italy?

   I am sitting here in this wonderful apartment in the heart of Florence wondering how in the world I got so lucky. I cannot begin to explain the amount of emotions I feel from minute to minute. I must say that reality is slowly sinking in. I am not on vacation, but living my new life for the year. It has been a big adjustment; from getting lost,trying to grocery shop in a different language, figuring out how to get cell phone service, trying to understand directions and learning the bus and tram systems, walking about 5 miles a day, the time changes, the different food choices...and the list goes on and I am loving every minute of it. The fact that nothing is easy and nothing is the same as it is in America is why I decided to make this journey. This year is going to be filled with insane adventures and stories. I cannot begin to write everything that has already happened in the past week.The challenges are endless and each day brings it's own set!

     My apartment looks like Spain. It is so colorful and fun. The walls are bright yellow with insanely eclectic, seizure inducing pictures all over the walls. Our bedrooms have blue doors and amazing windows. We are on the top floor so we get the most magnificent breeze at any given time of the day. We live in the "Times Square" of Florence. Our neighborhood is extremely tourist filled, which means it is extremely loud at all hours of the night and day. I don't mind it, seeing as how I spent the last year in the busiest city in America: New York City, of course. We are already making friends with local shop owners. We live above a gelateria so they will continue to get to know us quite well! The ice cream here is the best I have ever had in my entire life! We also live right around the corner from the central  market where they sell  fresh  meat, cheese, flowers, spices, handmade pasta and fresh local grown fruits and veggies. My eyes were about as big as my head when we first walked in. All the possibilities! Although it is quite pricey, it's nice to visit for those special spices, fresh vegetables and maybe even a bag of 10 euro pasta or two!

   Our kitchen is probably the best part of our apartment. It is located upstairs; which is the highest point of our entire building.The view and the breeze is so gorgeous it makes you want to cry! Last night I had just finished making an amazing salmon pasta (If I may say so myself), and a side of red onion and blue cheese salad. I took a minute to look out the window and take it all in. The skies are incredible here. For all of you that know me well, know that I am absolutely infatuated with the sky. As I looked up and took a deep breath, I heard live music coming from the streets. I waited and listened a little closer and recognized the song. It was a Dave Matthews cover band. Those who know me well also know that I am obsessed with Dave Matthews Band. I think at that moment, without a doubt, as corny as it may sound, I knew I made the right decision in coming here and that I am exactly where I am supposed to be. We all ended up going out to the piazza and listening to them as they covered Dave all night. It was the most content I have felt in a long time.

   Most people think it's insane the way I just pick up and move around so much. I get asked the same question over and over " Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years".  Unfortunately I can not give the answer that many people are looking for because 5 or 10 years ago I would have never ever pictured myself  laying in this bed in Florence, Italy. What I can guarantee is that in 5 or 10 years I will be laughing, holding a huge glass of wine and surrounded by people I love and people that love me.


1 comment: